About the Yeshiva
Over the last 32 years, Yeshiva Shavei Hevron has been developing in the heart of the city of Hevron. Today, over 300 students, including 80 married students, learn on its premises with self-sacrifice, diligence, courage and tranquility. Rabbi Moshe Bleicher, shlita, the head of the yeshiva, set the educational-national goal of establishing a generation of Torah scholars worthy of becoming spiritual leaders.
Having absorbed the Torah of Hevron, these scholars will be able to use their deep faith and halachic knowledge in order to guide this generation through an understanding of the heart and needs of the Jewish People. We see special value in the fact that the message of unity of educational-national aims comes forth from the city of our Forefathers. Here, in Hevron, the roots of our unity as people were laid by our Forefathers who lived here and are buried here.
The fast and steady growth of the Yeshiva caused a need for the renovation and expansion of the Yeshiva situated in the old Beit Romano building (built over 120 years ago). Today, we are in the midst of the construction work.
Yeshiva Shavei Hevron is situated in the Beit Romano building in the midst of the holy city ofHevron.
Beit Romano was built in 1876 by the wealthy Turkish Jew, Avraham Romano. The building became a Torah center during the lifetime of Rebbe Chezkiya Medini (ztz”l), know as the “Sde Chemed”, who dwelled in it and even established a yeshiva within its walls.
Later, the Beit Romano building was purchased by Rebbe Shalom Beer from Lubavitch, who founded the first Chabad yeshiva in Eretz Yisrael on its premises. During the disturbances of 1929, the building was used by the British police and all of those injured in the rioting were gathered at Beit Romano before their evacuation from the city. During the Jordanian rule, this structure served as a school for girls.
As the result of the stabbing of David Kapulsky in the vicinity of the Beit Romano building in the year 1981, the school was evacuated and the building was returned to Jewish hands who returned the voice of Torah within its walls by establishing a yeshiva.
The Founding of Yeshiva Shavei Hevron
The year, 1968, witnessed the re-establishment of the Jewish settlement in Hevron when a group headed by Rav Moshe Levinger returned to the area . Thus, Kiryat Arba was established.
One night in the year 1980, a group of women, led by Rabbanit Miriam Levinger entered the Beit Haddasah building in the heart of Hevron. Thus, the Jewish presence in Hevron was re-established.
The murder of six youths at Beit Haddassah one Shabbat evening in May of that year, caused the desire to establish a yeshiva in the ancient city to be rekindled. Jewish leaders in the area took the first steps in establishing what is now, Yeshiva Shavei Hevron.
And the Sons Return to their Borders
In 1982, under the leadership of Rabbi Moshe Bleicher sh’lita, ten students entered the old Beit Romano building and began their Torah studies. Among the initial group of students was Asher Aharon Gross (z”l), who was murdered in Hevron at the end of that year by Arab terrorists.
Despite the grave difficulties of the yeshiva’s first years, Rav Moshe Bleicher, sh’lita, held fast to his vision of hundreds of boys learning within the confines of the Beit Midrash in the City of our Forefathers.
Then and Forever
Today, 25 years after its founding, the yeshiva can now boast of 250 students, 70 of who are married students. The yeshiva has expanded and founded other institutions under its auspices which include hundreds of students learning in the surrounding region of Kiryat Arba and Har Hevron. The Beit Romano building now towers over other buildings in Hevron, as upper stories have been added to it. More additions and expansions to the building are planned in the future.